Tomato sauce is the king of sauces. Simple yet delicious, it can be used with all sorts of foods in a number of ways. Perfect as a base for dishes and other sauces, but also working well alone to bring the best out of your pasta. The thing about tomato sauce is that there are many different ways to make it, and it seems like everyone has their own recipe. Some require more skill, time, and ingredients, while others are less complicated but might not give the best results. Don’t worry, you don’t need to spend hours looking for the best tomato recipe. It’s already here and is the only one you will ever need.
- 2 ½ cups chopped canned tomatoes
- ½ cup red wine
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/3 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/3 teaspoon dried thyme to taste
- Peel the onion and garlic and chop them to fine bits. Cook the onion in a saucepan or pot brushed with olive oil for two or three minutes on medium heat. Add garlic.
- After you start to smell the garlic, add chopped tomatoes and give them a good stir.
- When the sauce base starts to boil, add salt, pepper, oregano, basil, and thyme. Cook for a couple of minutes, and then add the red wine.
- Reduce the heat to low and continue cooking for 20 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and immediately use on pasta or another dish.
- If you don’t use up everything, let it cool down before pouring it into a container and storing it in the fridge.