There’s nothing better than a hefty slice of rich chocolate cake, but sometimes the idea of measuring and mixing lots of ingredients seems like more trouble than it’s worth, not to mention having to wait almost an hour for it all to finish baking in the oven. If you’re ever feeling something sweet but not in the mood to do the work of making an entire cake, enter the “mug cake.” It’s a single-serving cup of deliciousness ready to enjoy in under 10 minutes.
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup your choice of milk (regular or plant-based)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a small to medium bowl
- Add milk and oil and whisk until all ingredients are incorporated
- Once batter has formed, slowly pour the contents into a large microwave-safe mug
- Microwave on full power for 70-90 seconds (this can vary slightly depending on your microwave, it’s important to keep an eye on your cake as it cooks)
- Remove from microwave carefully—it may be hot!