You will never go back to jarred or canned sauce once you try making this delicious homemade pasta sauce. It also tastes delicious as a pizza sauce, sandwich spread, or mozzarella stick dip. Once it’s finished, you’ll want to put it on just about everything!
- One can of whole tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 garlic gloves, minced
- 1 small white onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Warm the olive oil in a large skillet on medium to high heat until shimmering.
- Add the onions and sauté them for about 5 minutes, or until they are soft and slightly golden. Mix the oregano, basil, and red pepper flakes into the onions.
- Add the minced garlic to the pan and sauté for another 2 minutes, or until garlic is slightly golden, but not burnt.
- Pour the entire can of tomatoes and 3/4 cup water into the pan. Use a wooden spoon to gently smash the tomatoes into smaller pieces.
- Simmer the sauce for about 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.