There are few things more exciting than getting to eat your favorite candy as a kid. For some, that means chocolate, but for others, it’s all things fruity, chewy, and tangy. While there’s still a place in our hearts for these sugary snacks, we’re grown up now and know that artificial colors and flavors don’t exactly fit into a nutritious diet. Instead, we love making candy with what we’ve got around the house, especially when that means fruit. This citrus peel candy is one of our favorites, and you can use whatever fruit you have!
- 3-4 pieces of citrus fruit (lemons, limes, oranges, grapefruit)
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- Add 2 cups of water to a medium pot and bring to a low boil
- While waiting for water to boil, peel the citrus fruit – you can eat the fruit part or save it for later
- Cut the peels into ¼ inch strips
- Add sliced peels to boiling water and simmer for 15 minutes
- Remove from heat and drain
- Add remaining water and sugar to the pot and bring to a simmer
- Heat for 20 minutes – don’t stir!
- Use tongs to transfer to a cooling rack
- Let cool, then enjoy!