Slow roasting these tomatoes will do so much good for your tastebuds, and this recipe really couldn’t be easier.
- 8 medium-sized tomatoes
- 2 whole heads of garlic
- 5-7 sprigs of thyme or rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- First, start off by washing and slicing the tomatoes in half. You want to slice them horizontally like a hamburger bun.
- Once you’ve sliced the tomatoes, put them into a roasting pan cut-side up. This will allow more juices to come out and there is more of a surface area for the tomatoes to get caramelized.
- Cut the garlic heads the same as the tomatoes, exposing the garlic cloves. Don’t worry about the skin, you can pop the garlic cloves right out of it later.
- Nestle the garlic heads in with the tomatoes and put the sprigs of herbs on top.
- Cover the tomatoes with enough olive oil so it comes up at least halfway onto the tomatoes. If you’re worried about wasting the olive oil, you can strain it after and use it again!
- Season the tomatoes to your liking with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 2 1/2-3 hours at 325 F.
- Once they’re done, use them in tomato sauces, soups, or as the star to any dish!