Broccoli is one of those veggies that people either love or hate, and if you’re a part of the second group – we’re here to change your mind. If you don’t like broccoli on its own, what about including it in a dish that features some of your favorite ingredients, such as potatoes and cheese.
That’s exactly the idea behind the recipe for cheesy broccoli stuffed potatoes, shared by North Carolina-based cook on her blog It’s All Good Vegan. It turns out these ingredients go incredibly well together, and you can get the ultimate vegan comfort food by mixing them up.
- 8 medium potatoes
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 2 tsp sea salt⠀
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped into smaller pieces
- 2 Tbsp filtered water⠀
- 1 cup vegan cheddar cheese⠀
- 1/4 cup dairy-free butter⠀
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour⠀
- 1 cup dairy-free milk ⠀
- ½ tsp garlic powder⠀
- 1/4 tsp black pepper⠀
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar⠀
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F, and puncture each of potatoes three or four times.
- Cover potatoes with a layer of oil using a brush cover, and put them on a large baking pan afterward. Your baking pan should have raised edges so it wouldn’t catch the oil drippings, but using one with foil is also an option.
- Bake the potatoes for 20 minutes after sprinkling them with sea salt. Once that’s done, take them out, flip them, and put them back to bake for another 20 minutes. If your potatoes are large, more time may be required.
- Put chopped broccoli and water in a pan, previously heated on medium heat. Steam broccoli until tender, for approximately 4-5 minutes.
- After heating a saucepan on medium heat, add the butter and flour and whisk them until managing to form a thick paste. Add milk, cheddar cheese, garlic powder, and black pepper to the mix, and whisk for about 4-5 minutes so the cheese has enough time to melt.
- Once everything is prepared, pierce the top of the potatoes so you could stuff them with steamed broccoli, and add the cheese sauce topping.