If you’ve decided to stop eating sugar, we applaud you, but you know how difficult it can get when your body just craves something sweet. When that happens, you don’t need to break your diet and indulge in whatever dessert happens to be in front of you. Instead, you can make these delicious energy balls using real chocolate and a few more ingredients that are all sugar-free and vegan.
The recipe was created by Annabel Karmel, who wrote several nutrition books. The ingredients below are enough for 15 to 20 balls and it won’t take you more than 15 minutes to make them.
- 5 1/2 oz (160g) dates without pits
- 5 1/2 oz (160g) cashew nuts
- 4 oz (100g) raisins
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp orange extract
- Cocoa powder
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Desiccated coconut
- Finely cut the dates and mix them with the rest of the ingredients in a food processor. Add 4 tablespoons of boiling water. Blend everything for a few minutes.
- Once you have a homogenous mixture, start making balls with your hands.
- Coat each ball in coconut, cocoa, or chocolate sprinkles and place them on a plate.
- Chill for at least an hour before serving.