Italians sure know how to cook. Panzanella is a bread salad that is so tasty! Once you try it, you’ll want to have it every day.
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 to 16-oz loaf artisan bread
- 1 medium red or yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 large cucumber
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 to 3 large heirloom tomatoes
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced basil
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Start by cutting the bread into cubes that are 1 inch. Prepare a baking sheet and place the bread cubes on it.
- Leave them for at least 8 to 10 hours to dry. If not, you can always turn the oven to 300 F degrees and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Make sure that you mix the cubes twice while they’re in the oven so that they’re evenly baked on all sides.
- While you’re waiting you can chop the bell pepper, cucumber, and tomatoes into small pieces. Cut the onion into slices and leave it in water for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Grab a bowl and mix the salt, olive oil, and red wine vinegar together with a few fresh grinds of pepper. Mix it very well.
- Start making the Panzanella salad in a large bowl. Add the vegetables, bread cubes, and cover them with the vinaigrette.