Onion rings definitely rule the fried snacks genre. However, there is a new contender that is ready to challenge their supremacy—fried apple rings. Apples can also be turned into a fried snack, offering a sweet and savory experience that will blow you away on the first bite. If you want to know how to make fried apple rings and add something new to your snack platter, check out the recipe below.
- 4 apples
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup whey
- 1 egg
- Peel the apples and remove the insides. Slice them to ¼ inch thick rings.
- Prepare two bowls. In the first one, combine flour, baking powder, salt, two tablespoons of sugar, and ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon. Mix egg and whey/buttermilk in the second bowl.
- Take a deep pot and cover one third of it with vegetable oil. Heat it on the stove.
- Dip the apple rings in the egg mixture and then in the bowl with dry ingredients. Pop into the hot oil and fry until golden brown.
- Take them out and let them rest on some paper towels, so the grease gets soaked up.
- Combine three tablespoons of sugar and one teaspoon of cinnamon in a separate bowl. Dust the apple rigs with the mixture and dig in.