Elegance, simplicity, and a touch of sweetness—these are the qualities that make shortbread cookies the darlings of tea time. If you’re ready to indulge in a delightful baking adventure that combines style and taste, you’re in for a treat! Here’s the ultimate shortbread cookie recipe that will elevate your tea time and leave your taste buds craving more.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the softened butter until it’s smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add the granulated sugar to the butter and continue to mix until the mixture is light and fluffy. If desired, add the vanilla extract for a hint of flavor.
- Gradually add the all-purpose flour and salt to the butter mixture. Mix until a crumbly dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it gently until it comes together. Be careful not to overwork the dough; shortbread should be tender.
- Roll out the dough to your desired thickness (usually around 1/2 inch) and use cookie cutters to create stylish shapes that match your aesthetic.
- Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheet and prick them with a fork to create decorative patterns. Bake in the preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes or until the edges turn golden.
- Allow the cookies to cool on a wire rack. Once cooled, they’re ready to enjoy with your favorite tea or coffee.