Mug cakes are one of those food trends that zipped through the internet in recent years, lighting up everybody’s feeds for a few months and then disappearing. But we’re here to say that mug cakes are actually much more than just a fad. They’re a perfect, single-serving, easy-to-make dessert that you can whip up in just a few minutes and we plan on continuing to make them forever. Here’s our favorite recipe for a chocolate mug cake. We hope you try it.
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder (you can use hot chocolate powder in a pinch)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- A pinch of slat
- 5/8 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients. Whisk together with a fork until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into a mug. Make sure that it’s safe to microwave! It’s also important that the mug is big enough that your cake can rise a couple inches.
- Put the mug in your microwave, ideally with a paper towel under it to catch any possible drips or overflow.
- Microwave for 80 seconds. Note that each microwave’s strength is different, so it might take some experimentation to figure out exactly the right timing for your microwave.