Dahl is the perfect meal for when you want something tasty and hearty that doesn’t require too much stress. It can be whipped up quickly and easily and will be sure to please a crowd. It’s also great for storing in the fridge or freezer, and reheating when you don’t have time to cook.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 2 cups red lentils
- 2 large onions
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons dried cumin
- 2 tablespoons dried turmeric
- 2 tablespoons dried ginger
- 2 15-ounce canned tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- Chop the onions into fine slices.
- In a large pot, heat the oil and then add the onion and all the dried spices, mixing together well.
- Fry until the onion is soft and browned.
- Add the lentils and stir through for a few minutes, letting them soak in all the flavor.
- Add the canned tomatoes and the water and increase the heat to a gentle simmer.
- Stir regularly ensuring the lentils don’t stick.
- After about 20 minutes, the sauce should have thickened and the lentils should be cooked.
- Serve with white rice and a dollop of natural yogurt, and sprinkle some cilantro over the top.