Chickpeas are good for more than just hummus. The legume has been typecast in the role of Middle Eastern spread, but chickpeas are a great source of fiber, manganese, and vitamin B9, and form an excellent basis for soup. The spices in this hearty soup still keep it around the Middle East, but it’s the best thing to warm you up and keep you full on a chilly evening.
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 lemon
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Black pepper
- Handful of fresh coriander
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the onion and celery.
- Add in the cumin and fry for another minute.
- Increase the heat and add the stock, tomatoes, and chickpeas. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes and add in the black pepper.
- Squeeze half a lemon’s worth of juice into the soup and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Season to taste and top with lemon zest and chopped coriander.