Mastering a tart shell will give you the ability to make so many different impressive fruit tarts, so try this recipe today!
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons of cubed, cold, unsalted butter
- Whisk together the egg yolk, heavy cream, and vanilla extract in a very small bowl.
- Into a food processor, pour in the flour, powdered sugar, and salt. Pulse a few times to combine before adding in the butter. Pulse another 15-20 times until the mixture looks like coarse sand.
- Slowly add in the wet ingredients while you pulse until it forms a more dough-looking mixture.
- Pour out the dough onto a piece of plastic wrap and flatten it into a disk about 6-inches wide.
- Cover the disk in plastic wrap, chill for an hour and let it sit out on the counter for 10 minutes before you use it.
- Dust your surface with flour and roll out the pastry so it’s a little bigger than your tart pan. Then, place the pastry into the pan and freeze it for 30 minutes.
- Put down some foil onto the tart shell and weigh it down with baking beans.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 375 F, rotating it half way through.
- For the last 5-10 minutes, uncover it and bake until golden brown.
- Cool before filling it with your pastry cream and favorite fruits!