We love sushi as much as the next guy, but the bill for a filling meal at a nice sushi restaurant can add up quickly. For a more substantial option with all of the familiar flavors, may we suggest: DIY sushi bowls! All of the components of this fan-favorite, but with all of the convenience of a home-cooked meal. Whip one up as a last-minute dinner for one, or make an event of it by hosting friends for a make-your-own-sushi bowl night. They’re totally customizable and just as fun to make! Here’s what we like to put in ours.
Ingredients: Serves 1
- 1 cup of cooked short-grain or “sticky” rice
- ½ ripe avocado
- ½ cup of your choice of protein, we recommend cooked salmon, shrimp, or tofu
- 1 small to medium cucumber, cut into thin strips
- 1 sheet of nori seaweed, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Soy sauce or spicy mayo, to taste
- Place cooked rice in a medium bowl
- Peel the avocado and remove the pit. Cut the flesh into slices and place them on the rice toward the side.
- Arrange protein on top of rice as desired
- Sprinkle with cucumber, nori, and sesame seeds
- Drizzle with soy sauce, mayo, or both to taste. Enjoy!