If you’ve ever visited the Netherlands, you have probably tried bitterballen, deep-fried Dutch bar snacks. Savory and moreish, these tasty treats are definitely worth making at home. Follow this simple recipe and impress your guests at your next gathering. This recipe will make 16 bitterballen, and you will need a deep-fat fryer.
- 1 cup of plain flour
- ½ cup of milk
- 1/8 cup of dried herbs (a mix of oregano, basil, and thyme works well)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups of cooked minced meat (pork and beef are traditional)
- ½ cup of cooked mashed potato
- Mix the cooked potato into the cooked minced meat and shape into balls.
- Mix the flour, milk, and herbs together.
- Whisk the eggs into the batter.
- Drop the balls of minced meat and potato into the batter, then deep fry until golden brown and crispy (between three to four minutes).
Bitterballen are delicious served with dips such as mayonnaise, but you can also treat them like falafel and stuff them into a pitta bread or sandwich. Don’t forget to serve some ice-cold Dutch lager to go alongside them!