Baking a cake is usually reserved for special occasions. Because let’s be honest, it takes more effort than we’re all willing to put in on a regular basis. But it shouldn’t be this way! Sometimes you deserve a little treat just for persevering through life and this delicious spiced honey cake is the perfect solution.
The blend of spices can be adjusted to your taste, but don’t hold back, because this cake gets better the more flavors you add. If you can resist eating it straight away, it’ll taste even more delicious if you cover it and leave it for about a week. The flavors will develop, and the texture becomes even more moist, spongy, and gooey.
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup oil (Canola or vegetable oil works great)
- ⅓ cup golden syrup or light molasses
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Cream together the sugar and eggs in a large bowl.
- Add the oil to the mixture and stir until combined.
- Warm the syrup and honey together and add to the bowl.
- Add the flour and spices and stir again.
- In a separate bowl, dissolve the baking soda in the boiling water and add to the mixture.
- Stir everything together, and pour into a baking tin any shape you’d like. It’s a pretty dense batter, so something flatter makes sure the cake cooks evenly.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes at 320°F. The key is low and slow! It should be a little jiggly in the middle but definitely done around the sides.