Pesto is widely popular, with people using this authentic Italian sauce with pasta, pizza, chicken, and much more. This pea pesto recipe is a fun twist on the classic and is a delicious way to add even more veg to your meal. You’ll need a food processor for this recipe. You can add ingredients to your liking, such as parmesan or chili, and play around with the ratios.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- Large bag of frozen peas
- Large handful of basil
- 4 cloves garlic
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup cashews
- Salt (to taste)
- Cook the peas according to package instructions. Drain and leave to cool down completely. Meanwhile, chop up the garlic and the basil.
- Add the peas, garlic, basil, lemon juice, and cashews to a food processor with a pinch of salt. Blitz this up, until it starts to blend into a mixture.
- Gradually add the oil, and continue to blend it incrementally.
- Once all the oil has been added, give it one last blitz. You can continue to blend until it becomes much smoother if that’s your preference, or you can leave it a bit chunky.
- Stir this mixture through hot pasta or gnocchi, and add cheese if you like.