When you’re cutting gluten out of your diet, one of the hardest losses is being able to treat yourself to light, delicious sponge cake. Although it can take great skill and time to learn how to recreate your favorite lemon drizzle or Victoria sponge without wheat, there are other gluten-free dessert options that take less time but still taste just as delicious.
As long as you use gluten-free biscuits in your base, cheesecake is a great option for a gluten-free treat. There are plenty of recipes available if you search online, and the best thing about cheesecake is that it is easy to adapt to your preferences. For example, if your favorite flavor is mango, stirring a few spoons of mango puree or compote through the cheesecake mix before cooling or baking lends it a delicious tropical twist.
Surprisingly easy to make at home, these gluten-free cannoli are seriously sweet. Unlike traditional cannoli, they don’t require deep frying, but you will need cannoli molds or something tubular that the treats can be wrapped around.
- 1 1/4 cups ground almonds
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- Ricotta and chocolate spread for the filling
- Mix 1 1/4 cups of ground almond with 1 1/4 cups of sugar and heat in a pan until the sugar has become a sticky syrup.
- Stir another 1/4 cup of chopped almonds into the mix, then spread across a baking tray.
- Bake at 300°F for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and once cool enough to touch, wrap the biscuit mixture around your cannoli molds.
- Let these cool completely, before sliding the cannoli off the molds.
- Fill with ricotta mixed with chocolate spread and enjoy!