When it comes to comfort food, few things rival the crispy and satisfying bite of a perfectly cooked batch of puffy fries. This snack originated in the Middle East and has become harder to find in recent years. But resurrecting the tradition of this delicious snack in your home kitchen is easier than you think.
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 cup of flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- ½ cup of sparkling water
- 1 Tablespoon of salt
- ½ tablespoon of black paper
- Canola oil for frying
- Thinly slice your potatoes using a vegetable slicer. If you don’t have one on hand, use a knife, but try to keep the slices as thin as possible. In a bowl, mix all the ingredients expert for the oil. The batter should be quite thick. Refrigerate it for one hour.
- Next, dip the potato in the batter and drop the battered potato in a deep fryer or heated pot with oil. Cook the potato for a few minutes until golden brown.
- Remove the potato and place it on a paper towel-covered plate to absorb the excess oil. Repeat the process until you’re done.
- Enjoy this delicious snack with a dip of your choice!