Homemade spreads are head and shoulders above the stuff you buy in the grocery stores. You know it’s fresh, you can customize it to your preference, and you can always make some more if you run out. There are many tasty spreads you can make at home without much fuss, but the one we particularly like is the eggplant and garlic spread. It goes well on every type of bread, and you can even use it for dipping. Here is how to make it.
- 10 garlic cloves
- 2 eggplants
- 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- Salt and black pepper
- For starters, you will need to make a garlic confit. Start by peeling the cloves and then putting them in an oven-safe pan or a deep dish alongside thyme. Pour in the olive oil, making sure that both garlic and thyme are submerged.
- Put the oven-safe pan in a preheated oven at 200F. Cook for 60 minutes while occasionally checking in.
- Leave the garlic confit to chill while you roast the eggplants.
- Using a fork, poke several holes in each eggplant. Place them on a baking sheet, and pop them in the oven to roast for 50 minutes at 400F. Make sure to turn them on the other side halfway through.
- Once the eggplants are roasted, cut them lengthwise and scoop out the flesh. Add it to a bowl alongside garlic confit, Greek yogurt, and lemon juice. Add a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Mix the ingredients using a fork until they combine in a smooth mass. You can also use a blender but make sure you don’t overdo it. Taste to see if you need more salt.
- Spread on a slice of bread and enjoy.