Borscht is a very popular Ukrainian or Russian soup made with beets, giving it its signature deep red color. It’s super delicious and is actually easier to make than you might think. We highly recommend giving it a try, even if you’re never tried it before. You’ll be glad you did.
- 2 beets
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- 8 cups water
- 1/4 head of cabbage
- 1/2 can kidney beans
- 3 potatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped dill
- Sour cream
- Peel and grate your beets. Grate carrots, dice onions.
- In a large frying pan over low heat, heat vegetable oil. Add diced onion. Saute for 2 minutes. Add tomato paste. Combine and cook for 1 minute. Add grated beets. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add grated carrots. Cook, stirring ocassionally, for 10 more minutes.
- In a large soup pan, bring water to boil. Add shredded cabbage and kidney beans. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add cubed potatoes. Cook for ten minutes.
- Stir in beet mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer until all the vegetables are tender. Borsch is traditionally served with sour cream and dill.