Pancakes are the ultimate breakfast food we’ll never get bored of, but that shouldn’t stop you from switching things up and adding a couple of new ingredients to your classic recipe – such as chia seeds and pink pitaya powder.
That’s exactly what Romanian foodie Andreea, who runs Instagram page @andreeasbreakfast decided to do, and the idea for her mouth-watering purple chia pancakes was born. They owe their striking color to the pink pitaya powder, and we promise they taste as delicious as they look.
Ingredients (for 12 pancakes)
- 215 g all-purpose flour
- 15 g baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 300 ml plant-based milk
- 1+1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 tbsp unrefined brown sugar
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp pink pitaya powder
- 1/2 tbsp blue spirulina powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix vinegar and milk inside a small bowl, and wait for five minutes for the mixture to settle.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, pitaya and blue spirulina powder, and the chia seeds to a bigger bowl and mix them together.
- After pouring the wet mixture over the dry ingredients, put some vanilla extract to the mix, and whisk it all together until well incorporated.
- Use a nonstick pan to cook your pancakes, using about one minute per each.
- Once you’re done, display the pancakes on a plate, with toppings of your own choosing. Enjoy!