If you like kimchi, you will LOVE kimchi pancakes. These savory, salty pancakes are crispy on the outside and soft in the middle and have a delicious tangy kimchi flavor. If you’re always looking for new ways to incorporate this much-loved Korean cabbage into your meals, then this recipe is for you. It makes a fantastic breakfast or brunch, or savory afternoon snack!
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon kimchi liquid from the jar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup kimchi, coarsely chopped
- 4 green onions, finely chopped on the diagonal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Coconut oil for frying
- Add the egg, kimchi liquid, soy sauce and coconut milk to a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Gradually add the flour, baking soda and salt and whisk into a thick batter.
- Add the green onions and kimchi and fold gently to combine.
- Heat a skillet over a medium heat until it is very hot.
- Add a little coconut oil to lightly coat the pan.
- Drop 1/4 cupful’s of the batter into the pan, making sure to leave enough space to turn them. You should be able to cook 2-3 pancakes at a time, depending on the size of your skillet.
- Cook each pancake for 2-3 minutes on each side, until the edges are crisp and the pancakes are golden brown.
- Pile the cooked pancakes up and cover with a clean tea towel to keep warm and continuing frying the pancakes in batches until you have used all the batter. Add more coconut oil as needed.
- You could serve these pancakes with a wakame salad, more kimchi on the side, fried eggs, a squiggle of sriracha for extra heat or simply as they are.