If you are looking to add more spinach to your diet, then spanakopita, aka Greek spinach pie, is a great way to do it. This pie is not only delicious but will also give you a proper and filling meal. And best of all, it’s super easy to make. Here is how to make it.
- 1 ½ pounds spinach
- 2 cups Feta cheese
- 4 eggs
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 12 sheets phyllo dough
- Olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- Brush a frying pan with some olive oil and put chopped spinach and chopped onion in it. Saute until the spinach gets soft and starts changing color. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk the eggs in a larger bowl and then add crumbled Feta cheese, pressed garlic, dried dill, and dried parsley. Give it a whisk before adding spinach. Salt and pepper to taste before giving it a thorough mix until spinach gets blended with the rest of the ingredients.
- Brush a baking pan with olive oil and line it with two sheets of phyllo dough. Brush the dough with olive oil, and then add two more sheets of phyllo dough on top. Repeat the process until you’ve used eight sheets.
- Scoop the spinach filling and distribute it evenly across the stacked dough. Top the filling with two more phyllo dough sheets, brush with olive oil, and finish with the remaining phyllo.
- Brush the top of the pie with some more olive oil and sprinkle it with a bit of water. Trim the edges of the phyllo dough if it’s sticking out of the pan.
- Pop the pie in a preheated oven at 320 F and bake for an hour.
- Leave it to cool a bit, cut it into squares, and dig in.